Dan Watson has made the arrangements – this Sunday, November 29th for the club to spend an hour or two at the Crittenton Center showing and talking to the kids about motorcycles. Jim Johnson will be picking up some pizza’s to share with them. Meet at the Center at 3:30 PM. It is located at 3901 Green Ave in Sioux City. Green Ave intersects with Gordon Drive at the stop light just east of HyVee on Gordon. Turn north towards HyVee at the stop light and follow the street to the shelter care facility. We would like to get a variety of bikes there, iconic H-Ds, uber-cool touring beemers, classic air heads, dual sports/adv bikes, and techie Jap bikes. Please come join us. Also, any interesting motorcycle items you can haul down to show the kids would be great. There are currently 15 kids staying at the Center and we want them to see the possibilities of motorcycles and give them something they to get excited and dream about. If you have any questions, call Dan at (712) 389-6257or firstname.lastname@example.org. You can read more about the Crittenton Center Shelter here: http://www.crittentoncenter.org/index.php/shelter-a-youth-development
The Big Sioux Riders 2012 Christmas Party is Tuesday, December 11th at the House of Q. We have the back room reserved. You are welcome to bring a desert with you to share. Beverages can be purchased at the restaurant. We will have our traditional gift exchange so bring a gift costing between $10 and $20. The gifts do not have to be motorcycle related. The dinner cost is free to paid members. If you just want to pay for dinner, its $10/person. We will also have a drawing for some door prizes. Festivities start at 6 PM, dinner is at 6:30. I will be collecting dues for 2013.
After dinner we will vote on the Big Johnson Award and elect 2013 officers. Nominations for officers are currently: Pres: Al Agrimson; V-P: Randy Roos; Treas: Steve Martin; Flower Person/Public Relations: Open; Secretary: Brion Hase. If you want to run or submit someone, please drop me an email. The group is pretty open to anyone willing to serve as a club officer for a year.
Big Johnson Awards: We are also looking for 2013 Big Johnson Award nominations again. Dan and Gary are current favorites, but there is still time to challenge them. Nominate for your favorite rider or spouse by sending your nominations to Jim Johnson (email@example.com) and last year's winner Marc LaDue (firstname.lastname@example.org) along with a little explanation about why your nominee should win. Non-members from the local/regional motorcycle community can also be nominated.
Prior Winners of the Big Johnson:
- 2004 - Jim Johnson - Namesake - For getting lost, falling over, and then running out of gas during the club’s only Poker Run.
- 2005 - Stan Stille - GPS Challenged. For going to the wrong town for the Iowa Rally, even after Stan’s son Ryan had put the location (Marengo) into Stan’s GPS. Stan went to the location of the rally the prior year (Kalona). After loosing his sleeping bag and tent on the way, Stan spent the night in a hotel room in Coralville before find the rally the next day.
- 2006 - Doug Shonley - Adventures with Pickups. Shortly after Nancy Rae got her new truck, Doug moved it out of the way to get his bike out. Doug then proceeded to back into the truck with his motorcycle and fall over. Nancy Rae was laughing to hard to assist with getting the bike back up.
- 2007 - Steve Martin - Tent Stake Packing. After arriving at the Spring Campout, Steve claims he had forgotten to have packed his tent stakes. He loaned a few spare stakes from the others, and then fabricating the remaining stakes he needed. The next morning Steve found he had not forgotten his stakes, they were under his tent and he had slept on them all night.
- 2008 - Judy Walker - Turn Demonstrator. While demonstrating how to do a proper corner at a MSF class, Instructor Judy accidentally fell down and hurt her ankle. Actually this happened on the course when class was not in session and Judy was practicing.
- 2009 - Sue and Steve Lee - The Wild Berry Incident. Sue vomited wild berry Tums onto her husband Steve while moving at speed as they traveled on separate motorcycles in Nebraska.
- 2010 - Dale Nordlie - Torque Challenged. Dale lost the back wheel off his GS motorcycle while on his way to Baxter Cycle Open House and Campout in Marne. No one was hurt and there was no serious damage. Dale now safety wires his wheel bolts on.
- 2011 - Marc LaDue - Camping Prowess. For his outstanding camping stories after purchasing and carrying his new camping gear on his Trans-American Trail trip... and never using it.
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is that it is difficult to verify their validity" -- Abraham Lincoln
Brion "Frump" Hase
'06 R12GSA ("Pig"), '03 K12RS ("Dagmar") & '04 DL650 Strom ("Piglet")
BMW MOA #100603
IBA Member #22484