Sunday, July 17, 2011

Member Profile - Scott Taylor

I’m Scott Taylor – a recent member to the Autobahn Society. I joined last spring after purchasing a blue and white 2004 BMW R1150GS. I’ve been working at Wells Fargo for the last 12 years as a programmer in student loans. My wife, Marcelle, and I and our two children Autumn (5 years) and Mitchell (4 years) live in Brandon, SD. I’ve been riding motorcycles since I graduated from the South Dakota School of Mines and Technology in 1996.

My first bike was a 1992 Kawasaki Ninja 600R, followed by a new red Honda CBR600F4 in 1999. At the time, I had the choice between the CBR600F4 and a red 1999 VFR800 Interceptor. Eventually, I grew to regret not buying the VFR800 because of some of its advantages over the F4. It was more Sport Touring orientated, had a center stand, EFI, and single-sided swing arm. I sold the CBR600F4 about the time my wife and I were expecting our first child. I held out a while, but eventually bought a 2002 Victory V92C in the spring of 2008.

I’ve been interested in cruisers, sport, and sport touring motorcycles for some time, but my focus has since changed to adventure sport motorcycles after reading numerous books and articles and (most notably) watching the “Long Way Round” and “Long Way Down” documentaries with Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman.

The BMW GS has been the favorite motorcycle I’ve owned for a number of reasons. It’s large, comfortable, has heated grips, the saddle bags are great, and it is one of BMW’s most popular models so aftermarket parts and accessories are available. As mentioned earlier, I also appreciate having the center stand which my first bike had and I’ve missed ever since.

I haven’t had much opportunity to tour yet, aside from a trip to the Black Hills in the summer of 2010 for a fresh set of tires at Sturgis BMW and a quick tour through Custer State Park. As I write this, I’m planning a trip to Minneapolis for service at Moon Motorsports and on to Duluth, MN, to visit the Aerostich Rider Warehouse. I plan on purchasing a pair of Darien Pants and (if budget allows) maybe the jacket too. I may also do the North Shore drive along Lake Superior. I look forward to meeting you all in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment